- This event has passed.
*Bonita* (Moderate) Sweetwater Preserve Regional Pack Walk
January 22 @ 11:00 am - 1:00 pm EST
*Wildlife, wildlife, wildlife! Bring high-value treats to connect with your pups and to reward them when they focus on you instead of the furry creatures scuttling about.*
This is a 3.5 mi, moderately difficult trail for the pack with great distractions. We won’t be sprinting or speed walking, but we will be moving at a quicker pace than normal, so please ensure both you and your pup are in good health and prepared if you choose to join us for this event.
Park in the lot near Bonita Dental/KFC/Graciela’s (5034 or 5050 Bonita Rd., Bonita, CA, 91902 will get you there) and cross the street to the Sweetwater Regional Preserve. You’ll see us standing in front of the gate at the entrance to the trail (32.67005936496945, -117.02181969479628). If you see the sign for the preserve, look to the right and you’ll see us gathered just down the path.
Please use caution when crossing the street. We highly recommend using the crosswalks at Central Ave and Bonita Rd to keep you and your pups safe!
We welcome **ALL** dogs, breeds, and temperaments.
However, please note that this means dogs of different skill levels. Some dogs may be at the canine good citizen level, while others are at the “I need to learn social manners” level.
The great thing is that we are supportive of each other and respect where each of us is.
**Our Goal Is To:**
*CONNECT* with our dogs
*CAPTURE CALM* behavior
*CO-EXIST* as a group
We want to show our dogs that they are safe with us. We want to reward them when they choose to connect with us in spite of the highly distracting world around them.
* Dogs must remain on a lead no longer than 3 feet during our walks and under no circumstances, allow your dog off-leash around our group.
* We ask that you maintain a distance of at least 6 feet between dogs while walking and during breaks.
* We want to allow enough space between dogs so they are walking as close as possible without them having impulses to smell each other (or react). The goal is harmony and co-existence with space.
* We discourage nose-to-nose interactions – refrain from introducing dogs until AFTER the pack walk (we can provide a demo upon request)
* If your dog is vocal and likes to bark – please stand at the edge of the group so that he/she doesn’t trigger other dogs. Also please walk at the back of the pack.
* The goal is to find a place where your dog is relaxed. Walking inside their threshold stresses them out and that’s not the goal of the walk.
* We want our dogs to have a calm walk so if that means you have to start off 30+ feet away – that’s TOTALLY OK because we respect where your journey and if that is what your dog needs, so be it. We choose locations that allow you this much space.
* Only dogs who are up-to-date on rabies shot
* **NO RETRACTABLE LEASHES are permitted**
* For Dogs-In-Need-Of-Space (*DINOS*) if your dog is working on socialization, learning leash manners, has anxiety or medical concern, please BE SAFE and do not interact with other dogs -Bring a ***yellow ribbon*** on your leash to signify your dog is a DINOS dog
* You must supply your own poops bags & water
* Maintain enough space between dogs so they are walking as close as possible without them having impulses to smell each other. The goal is harmony and co-existence with space.
* We all walk at different paces, but please *DO NOT* pass the Pack Walk Coordinator unless otherwise instructed.
* When a dog needs a water break we will all take a break together as a group, please do not pass others.
Our goal is to walk as a pack – close enough for positive interactions – far enough as needed if your dog is reactive. We want our dogs to have a safe and structured social experience.